Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday Blues

I haven't heard the 5am call to prayer in months because I'm so used to it, but this morning I woke up to my alarm clock at the same time as call to prayer. Not fun. In an attempt to get back to our sites for Tabaski, an important Muslim holiday starting tomorrow, we got up around 5:30 so in order to be at the garage early and make sure we could get cars back to Thies. Surprisingly, it only took three hours to get back and we made it so it was great.

Tamar and I spent the day in a daze because we were incredibly tired from the trip and waking up so early. We made an absolutely amazing dinner courtesy of my mom. We had some pasta pesto, tomatoes, onions, and some great cheese we got at the toubab store! It was great and we topped it off with some boxed wine and a movie in my room. It was really nice and relaxing. We need our rest to watch some goat slaughter tomorrow!

Tomorrow is the Muslim holiday that I've been talking about. It's called Tabaski and I am too lazy to describe it to everyone so you can check it out on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabaski

Also, I'm sad it's black Friday and I have done no shopping. It's terribly sad. I miss JCrew and all other sales happening today. Please purchase many beautiful and shiny things in my honor.

Ps. Shout out to Shirley for sending another letter! Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to Chez Titche Tamar!!!
    Can't wait to see Tabaski pics. I'm sorry but it sounds like a Polish holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip does sound a bit terrifying. Lucky there was another bus!!! I'm glad you had a wonderful time in the end, makes the terror worthwhile! As they say, keep your eye on the prize.

    Enjoy the goat sacrificing. Sounds like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember when I was 5 or 6 my grandma raised chickens and would chop there head off with a axe and it would fly the yard. I was going to try it once till I looked at it I knew it would never happen.

    ReplyDelete