Sunday, January 16, 2011

Wedding Reception

The party was very anti-climactic. It wasn't so much a party as a big luncheon, which made the days events only boring and not painful. The morning started out pretty slowly as all of my sisters pulled water, we haven't had water from the tap in several days, and I cleaned the front of the bungalow so I didn't look like a slob to our guests. I had been neglecting cleaning the outside which was covered in dirt since I returned from the States. Women started to arrive and began cooking while I was cleaning so after I finished I installed myself among their ranks in a very successful attempt not to socialize with other guests.

Not that I'm completely anti-social, but living in a large town has its disadvantages and parties are definitely one of them. Since there are always guests who haven't met me and don't know about me I have to play "The Toubab Speaks Wolof Game." While wildly entertaining for the guest, I have to answer the same questions over and over again as they try and decide if I really do speak Wolof. Even my family seemed annoyed at the game today and I heard severally people reassure a guest that yes, in fact I do speak Wolof. Sitting with the women who were cooking cut down on these interrogations. My aunt, Numbe, was one of the people cooking and I love her so that was another bonus. I was also kept occupied with baby Abdou who I played with for most of the day. Jeenaba kept trying to give him to his dad who would promptly come and find me. That's not to say that baby daddy isn't a good dad because is here every day to see Abdou; he just wanted to hang out with the boys today.

Per usual, I had no idea what today was going to be like so I had been preparing myself for the worst. I also thought it was going to be an all day event, but we only had lunch at our house. When the bride arrived there was a lot of screaming, but then everything quieted down, everyone ate, and then most people left. Guests have been coming in and out all day to congratulate the bride, if the groom is here I don't know who he is, but last night was definitely much more raucous. I didn't even have to dress up Senegalese style today which was probably good since I was covered in baby drool.

7 comments:

  1. I've never been to a wedding reception where family members refrained from placing brown bags on their heads and singing "We are family!" Or, for that matter a bar mitzvah without table top dancing. Would our family be considered obnoxiously wild in Senegal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa, After reading your mothers comments I can't wait for your wedding. I hope know one wears paper bags while dancing on the tables! What are you doing for your birthday. Love Ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be Thursday already in Senegal, so....
    Happy birthday to us,
    Happy birthday to us.
    Happy birtday dear us,
    Happy birthday to us.

    and many more to you....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alyssa, Just so you get your birthday message, I am posting Happy birthday on your email too! Happy Birthday, Party Well! Love Ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy, Happy birthday Alyssa! Hope you have a wonderful celebration and that it lasts at least a long weekend.

    Love, Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALYSSA. Today, I picture you wearing your obama outfit with certain magic beads around your waist stumbling around with a bottle of that weird crazy strong citrus liqueur in your hand. See ya on the best coast sooooooon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOPS! But the day isn't over yet. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR ALYSSA! I can not say celebrate well, since I KNOW that you already. In that case, HAPPY TOMORROW AND THE WHOLE YEAR TO COME!
    P.S. People that are born on Tu B'Shevat are lucky people!
    Love, Anat

    ReplyDelete