Sunday, August 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Matt!!!!!!!!


First, I would like to wish Matt a very special birthday. I wish I could be there to celebrate, drink some booze, and lounge in some LA air conditioning. I love you. Happy birthday.

Now on to news from Senegal. This afternoon was possibly the hottest I have ever been in my life. It was difficult to walk the half mile from where my class is held back home. I had to take a bucket shower afterward just to cool down. Because of the heat, my class ended 30 minutes early and we reconvened an hour later than usual. The weather rules life here. It’s also the reason why people pass their days fanning themselves under trees. While I admit it is very difficult to get up and be productive in such oppressive heat, I am missing a defined schedule and things to do. I get out of class at around 6 and then there really isn’t too much to do other than practice Wolof for the next 5-6 hours before I try to go to bed. My family is a bunch of night owls and they don’t go to bed until at least 1. Most nights I don’t fall asleep until then because of the heat, noise, and general craziness around me.

Today was kind of a nothing day for me. Africa time and the slow pace here is really starting to get to me. I’m definitely used to a fast paced lifestyle and getting things done quickly. It’s just impossible here. I’m struggling with whether I’ll be able to cope with the Peace Corps definition of success, which is introducing Senegalese to Americans, showing them we are not bad people, and potentially helping their business practices. I wish that the emphasis was more on the business… hard to believe I know, but I’m craving some concrete numbers.

I really don’t have too much to report since class is pretty similar every day. I’m getting really close to the other PC girl here. She’s great and by far the best French speaker of the bunch. The boys are ok too.

I can’t believe I’ve only been in Senegal a week. I’m already craving the wifi we left behind at the training center and some vegetables. I’ve been eating fish and rice at every meal.

Time for bed. God love earplugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment