Thursday, November 4, 2010

Baby Poop

This entire week has been a struggle. If one more person asks me how much I like ceebu jenn, where my husband is (or any derivation of husband/ children/ I'm sure to be an old maid question), or why I have red spots on my skin, I might actually lose it. My family, as usual, provided comic relief.

After lunch, which was eggs (yay! I really don't think I could have swallowed ceebu jenn today), my family and I were hanging out in the living room watching re-runs of our favorite Brazilian and Indian soap operas. Jeenaba and her baby-daddy/ boyfriend inexplicably, because he's going to Mecca soon, don't have enough money for phone credit so Jeenaba was calling Thomsir on my phone. He then sent me every Peace Corps Volunteer's most dreaded text message. Here in Senegal if you don't have any credit on your phone you can send a free text that asks the receiver to give you a call on his/ her own dime. When I showed everyone this text they just burst out laughing at how ridiculous it was and my mom gave Thomsir a mock talking to for making me call him back.

Everyone calmed down and we were all in a heat/ bad soap opera induced coma when I received another text. The text made absolutely no sense. It was in French and included the word for fish, that's all I know. My mom demanded to see it as soon as I looked confused. She obviously couldn't read a text because the type is so small. Then Awa grabbed it as she claimed never of us knew what was going on. She then started laughing because the text legitimately no sense. Finally Jeenaba came in professing that she would decipher the text and that I didn't understand the French. Well, karma's a bitch. As she's saying this and looking at my phone a naked baby Abdou poops all over her! Too Funny.

2 comments:

  1. Your family really would make a hilarious reality show! They even have a token toubab! Glad you found some laughs in your day. I know it started out pretty stressful! I love you Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa,

    I keep looking at your new pictures and I hope that your new hat makes it back to the States. Maybe you can get the right and make a ton of money and set a new fashion trend. Hang in there.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete