Wednesday, August 11, 2010

New SEDers!

The new SED/ Ag stage arrived early this morning and I was at the center to greet them. I was expecting an absolutely surreal experience and to be somewhat overwhelmed myself at the thought of having been here a year, but there was no such emotional reaction and Jackie and I read off the new stagaire's names and room assignments. Understandably all of the new PCTs were exhausted and probably overwhelmed so the day passed without anything really interesting happening. Everyone, although quiet, seemed to be in pretty good spirits. I know that I was having the panic attack of a lifetime when I arrived, but apparently was able to hide that fact from most of my stage, at least for a while, so I'm expecting them to open up and have a lot more questions as the week progresses.

What is remarkable about this group is that there's 64 of them! Jackie and I spent most of the morning working on getting their Peace Corps folders in order, getting all of the materials sorted for the language instructors, and collecting all of the paperwork they brought with them from the homeland. We also answered preliminary questions about the center and SED work, but nothing too interesting! It was actually a little disappointing, but I'm definitely excited to get to know everyone and hear about the new sites that are opening up.

I spent most of the day at the center, but I did talk to Dioss who bought all the materials he needed to finish the cards and they are all done! I'm so excited. I'm going to go pick them up tomorrow, count them, and make sure that all of the cards are signed! Dioss will then have completed his first export deal. Nice. And just in time for Ramadan.

Speaking of Ramadan it is supposedly starting tomorrow in Senegal. Ramadan starts here when one of the religious leaders sees the moon. Some people are also saying it's going to start Friday. I'm about to head into the main house to have another showdown with my mom over who is cooking my lunch. I really need a break from Senegalese food and Ramadan is providing the perfect opportunity! I'm not going to let it slip through my fingers!

2 comments:

  1. Alyssa,

    I hate to vote against you but I bet your Mom wins the majority of your lunches. I hope that your review of Dioss's work goes well and that he has not taken any shortcuts. Enjoy.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of Luck to the new stage....my heart is with them!

    ReplyDelete