Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Finally

It's pouring rain right now and it feels so good. I was sitting out on my porch until the rain started to blow in my direction because it's been very hot and humid the past couple of days. The past two nights there have been intense lightening storms, but no rain and it was like a cruel joke since everyone was waiting for the rain to break the heat and humidity. Currently every bucket like object my family owns is sitting outside to collect water since our water supply has not been reliable lately. My mom has been staying up until 5 or 6am and then the water comes on for only a little bit so we haven't been able to fill all of the containers we usually fill.

My host dad also came home really early today and because it was too hot to sit in the house he sat outside with everyone else. I think he enjoys talking to me or at the very least finds me somewhat entertaining, probably because my entire family thinks the vast majority of my activities are utterly ridiculous. Today I told my family that I'm going to Kedougou (the southeastern region of Senegal) to celebrate the 4th of July with most of the other PCVs in country. My family had a panic attack. They told me that I'm out of my mind to go to Kedougou in July because it's even hotter than Thies and it's a really long car ride. When I told them that I'm taking my bike so I can ride out and see the waterfalls I thought my mom was going to have a heart attack. She claims I'll be sick for a week and she'll have to stay up all night and put cold compresses on my head once I get back. My host dad did seem to have a little more respect for the idea. He was interested in what waterfalls I'm planning on seeing and thought the bike trip could be interesting, but will definitely be extremely hot.

In completely unrelated news... it appears as though my host dad won the furniture war. The new black pleather couches moved upstairs and the more formal furniture that used to be upstairs is now in the living room.

I'm going to get ready for bed and enjoy the relative cool that the rain has brought!

2 comments:

  1. I am shocked that your dad won the furniture war! I really thought your mom ruled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa,

    Who cares about the furniture, the TV is the main prize. Enjoy the natural shower season.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete